Thursday 18 July 2019

Somme 4

I have now had word from Timecast that my trenches and other bits are done for my Somme game, I shall collect them on my return from holiday in early August.

I spent sometime yesterday furthering my research into the Thiepval sector, during which I came across this letter, written by the Rev. Major R. H. Royle, M.C,, 11th Manchesters at Stuff Redoubt.

"And what of Thiepval today? A few scarred lumps., a score or more smashed up stones, one solitairy civilian grave (alas, how many more graves of our brave laddies?) mark the site of what was once a flourishing and contented village.Yet, the scene is not without a brighter side. Within a mile of poor devastated Thiepval, shell holes have been filled in, barbed wire removed and trenches blocked up. Already the French peasants are reaping their harvest, back once more in their own part of their beloved France, living like foxes in holes in the ground, old Nissen Huts, trench shlketers - anywhere, but full of joy at being home again after nearly five years in exile. At Pozieres, a little child was playing on a swing on the top of our old battalion HQ..."

published in the Salford City Reporter, 1919, after Major Royle had returned to the battlefield that year.,

What a moving piece of writing, telling of the continuation of things following the devastation of the previous few years. It can often be forgotten that the battlefields we study and walk were the homes, back yards and work places of the civilians who inhabited the lands before war visited them. And what of them once the fighting had stopped. what was left for them to rebuild those shattered lives?

6 comments:

  1. Just discovered your new podcast. Excellent start and I look forward to hearing more. Also looking forward to seeing your GWSH game at JoS next year. I run the Cold War Commanders group and have put games on for the last few years at JoS as well as running the Scotia Trade Stand at shows. I agree that JoS has a completely different feel to it and personally one of the things I have found is that all the suppliers are incredibly supportive of each other and will gladly recommend other suppliers. I live in Stone, so not far from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As previously discussed, expect to see me in Salt some time soon! Especially if you have any stock of Scotia WW2 I can purchase!

      Delete
  2. Really looking forward to seeing your progress Sean! Exciting stuff to see someone taking the GWSHII scenarios, like Robert has done, and putting them onto the table as accurately as possible! I will be watching your progress and can only hope I can cross the pond and get to JoS next year :) Shawn Taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawn. Hopefully we will speak soon. I'm in For As in a couple of days, staying for 3 nights on our way home from Germany. I'm wondering whether I can sneak a quick visit in down to Thiepval! Might bit get away with it...but it's on my mind 😁

      Delete
  3. I've not considered Great War wargaming in 6mm before so I'm looking forward to your progress. BTW congrats on the new podcast, I'm really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is for listening. Plenty more to come!

      Delete