Monday 5 August 2019

Project Updates.

A quick post to update on my 6mm porjects for the rest of this year (subject to change at a moments notice of course!)

1. Thiepval

This remains in the purchasing, research and ideas phase. I don't anticipate the actual painting or construction phase to start until the autumn. I have plenty of thoughts around how to represent the wire, woods, the elevations and the trenches. I'm actually picking up the trenches this week from Timecast having had the email that they were ready whilst I was away on holiday.

2. Antietam

The figures will be collected at The Other Partizan. Painting for this project will start failry soon towards the end of August and I anticipate that they will be done fairly quickly once I get going. Given the opportunity of a couple of full days, I think I could make sterling progress. To actually get the game on the table, I am aiming for the end of the year. However, I do intend to play a couple of the smaller battles as I go. Certainly 1st Bull Run should be playable pretty quickly.

3. The Alma

Using War Against Russia, and Irregular Miniatures, this is nearly ready!. Just artillery and officers to be painted. Interestingly, the board for the scenarios in the rules covering all of the major actions, is 22" x 16". This is roughly the same size as a cork notice board, which I shall be using to construct a dedicated board for the game. Apologies for the rather poor picture of the painted foot figures.


4. 1809 Austrian Napoleonics.

This is my joint project with Ade. I've painted one unit as a test and intend to crack on with the rest over the next few weeks. At The Other Partizan I'll probably pick up some Austrian infantry in helmets which were still in use in 1809 as well as a bit more cavalry. More on this very soon.

And that's it....





Actually no. No, it's not.

5. Whilst in Ypres, I was inspired to look at the Mons scenario from the Great War Spearhead 2 rulebook. Okay, Ypres, isn't close to Mons, but Mons is the first major enagagment for the B.E.F. With the figures for this battle, I'll be able to do the retreat to the Marne, 1st Ypres and maybe even into early 1915, with Loos. So, on impulse, whilst away enjoying the lovely wines and food of the Rhineland Palatinate, I ordered the figures for the the Mons scenario which will also be collected at the Other Partizan.

So that really is it. A major problem in the past has been overwhelming myself with too many projects and amassing a lead pile of shame. I think what I have in the list above is manageable, with short term and long term projects that I hope to progress to a conclusion within the time periods specified. That's not to say there aren't other projects that are on my mind. ECW, Punic Wars, WW2, Spanish Succssion, WotR and Zulu Wars are all on the agenda. But, I'll resist any purchase or serious thought until major progres is made on the above 5 projects.

Yeah, right....!

More soon...

2 comments:

  1. Nice update. Have you looked at Bloody Big Battles at all for 19th C / Crimean warfare? They remind me of GWSH in some respects, similar focus and scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is Nick. Not looked at BBB, but I am aware of them and the strong following they have. I'll certainly have a closer look now when I get chance.

    ReplyDelete