Wednesday 26 June 2019

Somme 2 - Quick update


I had a nice drive over to Timecast today. It's only half an hour away in Shrewsbury and I wanted to see their trenches before buying. More importantly, I wanted to get the right number of curves and straights to cover essentially 16 feet of table.

I met Mark in the workshop who kindly took me through my requirements and discussed things like what bits I need for the redoubts, Mouquet Farm and Thiepval itself. I was also given some tips on how to paint the latex pieces which will come in very handy when it comes time paint them up.

I came away with a sample of their shelled ground along qwith some the Coat D'Arms super wash and one of the brushes that Timecast sell. I placed my order which will take 2-3 weeks to sort out. I suppose there is a chance it may be ready for Joy of Six, but not an issue if it isn't.

Once I have it, I intend to lay it out on my table to bet some idea of how the table will set up. Research is ongoing into the battle. It is amazing that no matter how much you read around a subject, there is always more to learn.

For instance, I have never really looked at local connections to the battle. I am currently researching family on my mum's side who lived in Salford at the time, with at least 3 brothers (my mum's uncle's) who were of an age to serve. Salford sent several Pals battalions to France and at least 2 of them served in the Thiepval sector. Something to look into further I think.

Also the town in the Staffordshire Moorlands where I went to high school has an interesting connection to the battle. The 46th North Midland Division were close to Fonquevillers on 26th June 1916 and targeted Gommecourt. Attached to the division was the Old Leek Battery who had orders for the 26th as follows: 

"V Day – Wire cutting and Registration Under orders to cut a lane 60 yards wide between enemy 1st and 2nd trenches. 700 rounds per gun allocated"

 This is a picture of the battery. I'm unsure of the location, whether it's in France or at home in Leek.
This is an interesting picture, as men from the battery source horses from the locals in the nearby village of Endon.I know this place very well as the building in the background is the Plough public house which still stands today on the A53 between Stoke on Trent and Leek.

These images and the information I have gleaned so far are from here which is the website of the Nicholson Memorial which still stands proudly in Leek town centre over looking the main street through the town. Well worth a check and although the battery served to the north of Thiepval, they shall form part of my ongoing research.

More soon...

3 comments:

  1. I don't suppose you could tell us in a blog post which timecast items you used for your layout, when it's all done? I'd be interested to hear which bits you ended up using. Also, welcome back, good to see you posting here again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Nick.
      I can be a bit like a magpie at times chasing the new shiny. I think my old age has tempered that instinct somewhat and I have now sold off the vast majority of my collection to havea fresh start with a fresh pair of eyes. I can put the list up of items I have purchased and when I get them I'll post some pictures up.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Sean, I see you've put up the list now. I've a bit of a magpie-instinct myself, I have to say (and to make matters worse, have just bought the GWSH and one of the scenario books on pdf this morning). Oh lord...

    ReplyDelete