Friday 21 June 2019

This is what it's all about.


When I first started to become interested in the American Civil War back in the late 80's, I picked up the Golden Book of the American Civil War, published I think by American Heritage.

Inside, as well as a great narrative of the events leading up to the war and throughout it's course, there were several pictures like the one above. I studied these intently, not only for the story it was telling of the particular battle it represented, but also for the look of the ground the little men were fighting over. To my eyes, it was basically a painting of what a wargame could look like.

I think it looks to me like a 6mm game in action, with the rolling terrain and the movement of troops depicted just as if they were on 60mmx30mm bases! Maybe it's just me, but I have always wanted to use these as an inspiration to recreate an American Civil War battle that had the look and feel of these pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment