Monday 5 August 2019

I can't possibly paint anything so BIG!

The common refrain often heard about 6mm, and often repeated by Peter Berry is the comment "I can't possibly paint anything so small". It might be felt that at times this attitude is at times somewhat apocryphal, if it wasn't for it being repeated across social media, forums and in conversation with the unenlightened.

Only yesterday I read a post on Twitter about somebody complaining about failing eyesight and the impossibility of painting anything smaller than 28mm. To this, I would say 'Hogwash, poppycock and buncum'. I'll reverse the phrase and suggest 'I can't possibly paint anything so BIG!'. Stick with me for a moment.

Unless your primary enjoyment is painting  buttons, lapels and cross belts, this hobby is about playing with toy soldiers. Wargaming encompasses many disciplines whether that be painting, research, making scenery or rolling dice. But to my mind, the principle goal is to actually play with your toy soldiers, either recreating historical battles or playing plausible games in your chosen period in a fictional setting.

I went to a show in Reading 10 years or so ago. There was a magnificent display game refighting the Battle of Blenhiem in 28mm. Thousands of figures from flank to flank on a table at least 16 foot long. Really very nice. But it wasn't a game, more of a static display. And how long must it have taken the players to paint it all up - never mind the scenery. I was led to believe that the figures were painted by just one or two of the players at the table. As a veteran gamer, the very thought of the effort to put on such a mammoth game made my head hurt. But what about the newcomer to the hobby? I imagine, that although aspirational, the newcomer would think 'blimey, I couldn't paint all that...and how much to buy all of the figures?"

I'm not bashing the larger scales here. There are some fantastic displays at shows up and down the country and the magazines are full of them. But, goodness me. The larger scales aren't the be all and end all of the hobby, despite what the hobby press and most shows might seem to suggest.

Lets take a pretty standard unit of 24 British figures for the War of Spanish Succession. In 28mm, to paint them to a tabletop standard - ignoring buttons, but getting the colour where it needs to go might take at least 3 painting sessions of maybe 2-3 hours. I haven't hard evidence of this but I reckon I could paint 8 figures in a session. That may be optimistic, and they certainly wouldn't be figures that would withstand close scrutiny. But I think I could do it. This works out at least 15 minutes per figure, but in reality would be closer to 20 minutes with no highlighting; at most a basecoat and a wash. So lets settle on 3 hours per night totalling 9 hours to paint 1 unit of 24 figures.

Compare and contrast, dear reader, with the same unit in 6mm. Arguably painted to the same level - basecoat and wash. There are two or three methods for painting 6mm to a good standard. Peter Berry published a guide on the Baccus website link here using a black undercoat. He estimates that his method works out at 2 minutes per figure using a production line method. Another method is to spray the figure the principle colour - red, blue, grey or whatever, block in the detail and then wash with a dark brown ink whether that be the Army Painter range, those GW washes or even artists inks from Windsor and Newton. I have used this method previously and would estimate a similar amount of time per figure as the black undercoat method.

So, at 2 minutes per figure, my maths works that out at 48 minutes per unit. In the time it takes to paint your 28mm unit, you can paint at least 11 units of 6mm figures. And I have to say to paint your 28mm unit in that time, you're probably not going to be running around showing them off as your best painted figures ever. Probably. Of course someone may prove me wrong on this and knock out an award winning unit in an hour. But I doubt it!

Over the course of a month of painting your 6mm figures, I'd hazard a guess that you could paint the best part of an army for a small to medium game. In 28mm, you might manage 3 units. Not quite enough to play with. Maybe 6 months later, you might get those figures on the table. Returning to an earlier point, if painting the buttons, lapels and crossbelts in 3 shades, I doubt you'd get that far.

Now, if painting is your main pleasure with a game once in a blue moon, then that's fine. As I've said before, and I say again, this hobby is a broad church with room for us all. However, if you've just come into the hobby looking to fight your first battle on the dining room table, then 6mm is an excellent choice. If you're an Ancients gamer there are many great ranges, but the handily produced boxed armies available from Rapier here make getting a game on your table quickly very easy.

Take for example their Republican Romans which for £14.50 you get:
  • 1 Mounted General
  • 3 x 54 Hastati / Princeps
  • 1 x 54 Triarri
  • 1 x 24 Velites
  • 1 x 18 Heavy Cavalry
240 foot figures and 19 mounted. At 2 minutes per figure that works out at around 9 hours painting, allowing  more for the mounted.

How about some Carthaginians to oppose them: 
  • Mounted Command
  • 2 x 54 Infantry (African & Spanish)
  • 1 x 36 Gallic Infantry
  • 2 x 24 Skirmishers
  • 1 x 18 Punic Heavy Cavalry
  • 1 x 15 Spanish Light Cavalry
  • 1 x 12 Numidian Cavalry
192 foot figures and 46 mounted figures. Again I would think 9 hours would get these done. So 18 hours work and you have two small armies within a months work at most to play a game. Try that in 28mm.

So, I ask you, how can you possibly paint anything so BIG!








11 comments:

  1. Interesting take on the topic. I've just started getting into the 6mm scale with a purchase from Baccus, and up until the point that I started painting them, I was a little intimidated by the scale too. Turns out, they were really easy. You can get terribly bogged down in the details of 28mm scale, and that's just not something you need to worry about at 6mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter's own mantra of paint the unit and not the man is one to abide by. Really for a great looking 28mm figure you're probably talking as long to paint it as a unit of 24 6mm. And there is a kind of reverse psychology from the spectator of a 28mm, expecting to see 3 highlights on a crossbelt whereas the expectation from an individual 6mm is way lower - it's far more important how the unit looks as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Choose your tools to suit the job. WWII platoon level single based figures - 15-28mm works well. Ancients mass battles - there's nothing like a 48 + figure unit to show off the density of the formations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a point with declining eye-sight where this isn't true and one needs larger figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure! I now have to wear cheap reading glasses to paint anything, whether that be 28mm or 6mm. For me you almost look on that 6mm unit the same as you would one 28mm figure. Very acceptable results can be achieved with not much effort on 6mm figures that pass tha 3' test. I'm not sure the same holds true in 28mm. Again I'm not bashing 28mm - I love to see well painted 28's on beautiful terrain. I do think it takes more effort to achieve a good result in 28mm than 6mm.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree. I was more wondering if there was a stage when vision becomes bad enough that one needs big 2(28-54mm figures) just to do a very basic paint job on a figure. I must admit I do wonder about this occasionally since the majority of my armies are 6mm-sized.

      Delete
  5. The other thing that makes 6mm stand out is that you can make the bases themselves little dioramas which add so much flavour and interest, it really is about the impact of the whole unit not the figure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Grumbeast. The base is possibly more improtant in 6mm than any other larger scale. Having said that Bruce Weigal's figures and bases are pretty minimalistic but the terrain is amazing!

      Delete
  6. Space is I think an under-rated aspect. Most people can manage a dining table of 5' by 3' or upwards. Maybe even up to 8'x 5'. Regardless of figure scale we all tend to play on similar sized tables, which are ultimately limited by our arm length!

    Where smaller scales come into it for me (apart from cost and my, cough, 'impressionistic' painting style) is that they take up much less space when stored away. This is very important with the cost of housing these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic, as well as the content! spanish american war service files

    ReplyDelete